- Underestimated weeds ... when I started out my large project, especially the rose garden...I did not screen them..thinking that I could keep it under control...wrong...it became a severe uphill battle. I need to ensure screening and mulching..and even that doesn't stop them...but it does slow them down. This is the post regarding my frustration. Click HERE
- Underestimated project times...I had way too many projects in the works.
- Let projects run away... The back rose garden was just going to be a cutting garden
- Neglected other areas of the gardens.... since I was centralized in one area...I largely ignored other areas.
- Neglected maturity size...I am still moving plants that will clearly crowd each other.
- Fall Burnout..I get such spring fever than I burn out.
- Planted rye grass in November instead of October
What I did right
- Infrastructure...I put in a dedicated well...ran lines out to the front field..so no more dragging hoses.
- Planning...the back rose garden was thought out
- Irrigation...I put in automatic irrigation
- Concentrating on One area...made a life a whole lot easier especially when plants aren't established
- Formal garden...the sky pencils and the statues were pretty
- Nursery closing...taking advantage of get lots of ornamenteals for pennies on the dollar
- Wildflowers...learning that wildflowers are pretty and require little maintenance.
All in all it was a good year. I think that the rose garden was fantastic. But I will try to temper my enthusiasm.