Friday, October 18, 2013

Rose of the Week...First Prize

The rose of the week is called First Prize.  This is a new rose in my garden & I bought it potted from the Elberta Co-op.  This an beautiful rose.  Now, I do get a bit tired of pink roses, sometimes, but a pretty rose is a pretty rose.  That being said, First Prize is outstanding and worthy of it's name.  
First Prize is a hybrid tea rose.  Its blooms can be as large as 6 inches!  It is an AARS rose winner in 1970.    When it blooms it blooms in mass.  It is moderately fragrant.    As mentioned, mine is a baby but they can get large (according to the web).  It states they can get 5 to 10 feet high and 5 feet wide.  

It prefers warmer climates.  What I read, it likes zone 6b or higher.   I keep reading that it's thorny...I have roses that are much worse.  For example...JFK rose' canes can be used as weapons.


Needless to say, it makes a great cut flower.  
It does have issues with black spot...but overall great rose...

For more information, click HERE.






No comments: