Friday, August 2, 2013

FYI on Snake Bites

Yesterday, while I was taking pictures, I crossed a trench where the irrigation pipe was.  The weeds had overgrown on it.  When I crossed it, trying to take a picture of my Touch of Class rose, something bit me.  I did not see what it was.  But I saw two holes on my ankle.  I tried to ignore it.  I had, already, been to the ER one time this year...and I did not want to be deemed a hypochondriac.

I didn't see anything, but if you saw where I crossed, a snake easily can be in there.  It didn't help that I had been seeing snakes all week, including poisonous ones.  I, usually, define them by a triangular head.  I don't think all poisonous snakes have a triangular head, but those that do...I deem poisonous.

I went back inside, and did what anyone else would have done.  Researched the web.  I couldn't find anything that told me whether it was a snake or not...aside, from the two holes (very slight) that was in my ankle.  They started to sting a bit.

As with any normal person, you start deciding whether this is serious or not.  I didn't see a snake, but logic told me that what else could put two holes in my ankle while I'm walking.

Per the web, it kept stating to seek medical attention.  So I opted to go the ER...begrudgingly.  When I got to the ER, the nurse looked at.  There was not swelling.  Later, the nurse practitioner came to the same conclusion.  I'm not telling anyone not to take snake bites seriously but I wish I had this piece of information before going.

They kept asking me how long ago, it occurred.  I said, "an hour".  They said, if the snake were poisonous, you would have massive swelling and bruising.  They went on to say, they had tons of reports of snake bites that week from people who were in their yard or rose garden.....

I said, "probably because the rain had stopped."  Anyway, I just wanted to pass on...that if it's poisonous...it won't take long for you to know.  I am not positive it was a snake but the trench will be filled in.

I hope nothing else happens...I doubt I'll go to the ER next time, unless it is truly obvious....

3 comments:

NellJean said...

Oh, my goodness! Do be careful. This could have had a disastrous outcome. I once picked up a small pine limb that I had trimmed and left lying for a few hours. There was a spreading adder under it. Could have easily been something poisonous.

I understand how easy it is to keep our attention on a flower or a vista rather than where we are stepping. Please be mindful. Thank you for the reminder; it's that time of year.

HolleyGarden said...

Oh, my! Thankfully, I've never been bit by a snake, but this is good information to know. I'm so glad you weren't bit by a poisonous snake, and hope that you didn't have any negative reaction to your bite at all. Take care! There's lots of scary stuff out there!

Janie Jurkiewicz said...

Just wished I had known that if had been a poisonous snake, you will know in minutes by the bruising and swelling.