Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I have a horrible confession

Counselor - Janie, can you introduce yourself?

Janie- My name is Janie and I'm a roseaholic.

Counselor- When do you determine that you were a roseaholic?

Janie- Because I feel like I have hit rock bottom.

Counselor - What happened that makes you think you hit rock bottom?

Janie- Well, I needed to cut down the grass around my tulips that were emerging and but I couldn't find my hand shears.  So I went to Dollar General to get some...and there in a box, poorly kept horrible looking, were roses....they had flavors I had never tried.  I saw them before and knew that it was a bad idea to get them.  But I had a bareroot rose from a nursery coming in that day....and well, I couldn't help myself.  I bought two Tropicanas and two Eclipse...that is when I knew when I was in trouble...

Counselor- I know roses give you such a high from the intoxication but the hangover of dealing with the ailments from them can be very detrimental...I advise shock therapy and avoid going outside, looking at the internet, mail, tv or going to stores....

I know what I did was bad, but it just might work.....








The canes needed trimming


Tropicana

Dollar General Roses

Moonstone from Edmunds



Put the Eclipse in the yellow section of the rose garden

Moonstone location

Tropicanas near the Tangerine streams and in front of Gypsys and  Olympiads


7 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

You'll want to keep careful notes on how these fare. If you look hard at the printing on the wrapper, you may discover just which grower these came from. The cheaper roses are usually the ones that didn't branch enough to be best quality, or the roots were not just right or some cosmetic thing. Maybe they are overruns, the grower planted more than they had contracts for. I hope you got them soon after they came off the truck. Eclipse is a pretty yellow.

Jean Campbell said...

Eclipse 2009

Cerberus German shepherds said...

Yes, I know it was a horrible choice and I resisted many times before...if they die...my expectations will be met....but for 4 dollars...I wanted to take the risk.

Cerberus German shepherds said...

It's beautiful is that yours?

Cerberus German shepherds said...

Just wanted to mention..overall vs updating the post that this particular rose garden has 70 roses set to it..10 en route and 60 in the ground...just have to wait and see what happens this year...I have a feeling it will be awesome

HolleyGarden said...

Good luck on your dollar general roses. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes, not. I now try to stick to a rose nursery because I know the roses I get from there will grow better for me. But, you never know, and if you're not too heartbroken if some of them don't work out, then it might end up just fine. I still have a Tropicana that I bought off the WalMart parking lot years ago, although I have had many more just languish.

Jean Campbell said...

That is my Eclipse, bought at Sam's club, which is hardly a step up from buying roses at Dollar General. I think there were two and one of them failed to survive.

Julia Child is blooming today, the color of butter and smells good enough to eat.