Monday, July 1, 2013

The Gardener's Spouse....And a Very Funny Poem

I want to take this opportunity to wish my love (and the most handsome, wonderful husband), Happy Birthday!  I suspect anyone who is married and gardens heavily eventually incorporates their spouse.  I am blessed to have a spouse who is patient, understanding, willing to help, tons of equipment, and knows how to do anything!  Also, how many gardeners have a clean house...when it isn't raining????
 My husband taking off the top of the soil for my pumpkin patch

I saw this poem on the blog, May Dreams Gardens ....and I wanted to share it.

My Wife the Gardener

~ Peter (poem in old magazine)
She dug the plot on Monday –
the soil was rich and fine,
She forgot to thaw out dinner –
so we went out to dine...
She planted roses Tuesday –
she says they are a must,
They really are quite lovely
but she quite forgot to dust.
On Wednesday it was daisies –
they opened up with sun,
All whites and pinks and yellows –
but the laundry wasn’t done...
The poppies came on Thursday -
a bright and cherry red,
I guess she really was engrossed –
she never made the bed...
It was violets on Friday –
in colours she adores,
It never bothered her at all –
all crumbs upon the floors
I hired a maid on Saturday –
my week is now complete,
My wife can garden all she wants –
the house will still be neat!
It’s nearly lunchtime Sunday –
and I cannot find the maid,
Oh no! I don’t believe it!
She’s out there WITH THE SPADE


- See more at: http://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/gardening-jokes-gardening-quotes-garden-poems.html#sthash.GPlMGjim.dpuf

Journal Notes

Moved container plants in blank areas of rose garden

Wow, my garden really is beginning to take shape.
Future pumpkin patch.  I am going to keep it small this year.

6 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

I guess it would be pushing your luck to get the Birthday Boy to take up the sod and mound your Peacock Bed now in preparation for next year's bloom?

Do you have firm plans for the Peacock down to every little plant?

I wanted to re-enact the Lurie Garden but in plants suitable to hot and humid. I got as far as a little trickle of Salvia farinacea (mealy cup sage) that has done right well.

Cerberus German shepherds said...

Sorry for the delay...my dog was having surgery and I was really stressed about it. In respect to the peacock's tail...I was considering Mexican Heather with a surrounding like dusty miller or coreopsis? I don't quite know how to spell it. What does it mean to "mound" a bed?

Jean Campbell said...

Hope your dog is okay.

If you google Peacock Garden images, there are a number of similar displays to the one you showed where the tail is not flat, but shaped by mounding the soil. I said mound before I looked back at your example which is flat.

I would make forty little sketches before time to plant, Pin fifty pictures of real peacocks to see exactly what colors to reproduce, stake out the area six times, lay down cardboard and leaves and straw, make 10 different lists of plants and sketch them and on and on. It's like travel -- I would rather plan than go.

Your methods probably work better, just go out there and do it.

Are you going to have a peacock topiary form and vines, a clipped shrub topiary for his head and body, or a statue? I need to stop thinking about your project before I'm out in the field in the rain, shaping a big boxwood into a topiary peacock and digging a bed for the tail.

Cerberus German shepherds said...

My dog is faring well and lying next to me on this very rainy morning.

In respect to the peacock, I want to be planned. Concerted and manageable..unlike this year. For the body, I was going to use vine, for the tail I was going to use Mexican Heather..it fares well in heat, always in bloom, and has a round shape that can easily be prune. I want to leave the body of the peacock generic, so in future years I can do something with it...like a swan, or a sea monster swimming, to the body itself will be rather simple and plain. The accessories and the plants of the year will define it. So definitely not gonna wing the peacock. I will start early. I'll kill the weeds, grade it, etc. I intend it to be my ONLY project next year...if I saw that enough maybe I'll remember.

Cerberus German shepherds said...

I meant that if I say it enough, I will remember to only do one small perfect project.

Cerberus German shepherds said...

@Nell, I had also thought of using moss roses and four o clocks to circle the mexican heather. That way, the topiary changes color thoughout the day...just a thought.