Sunday, April 27, 2014

Do I Need to Fill the Peacock Topiary Frame?

Today is my 40th birthday.  I am pretty sore but thankfully not sunburned.  I spent the majority of the day working on the peacock.  I screened the bottom of it.

I planted English Ivy at the very front to give the peacock a darker belly.

In attempts to fill it, I closed of the trunk a bit.

 My mistake was thinking spanghum moss was like coconut lining.  It was not.  It was like fluffy dirt.  It will go right though the chicken wire.  So I got very confused.  I had read topiary books but came to the conclusion that the moss was for potted plants.  Then I pondered.  Do I really need to fill it in at all....the bags inside were fillers of the core.  I considered using pine straw or mulch.  However, I though, why do I remove the bags and leave it open?  I am sure there are other reasons why fillers are good but I am on the verge leaving it open.  I'll put mulch on the screen of course but was wondering what ya'll though.




This morning I saw a black widow on the window next to where I was sitting eating a bug.  I tried to bug spray and it hid.  So then I just used a shoe.

2 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

There are different grades of peat moss. You were expecting the long strands of peat that have not yet decomposed. What you got is decomposed and sifted.

As quickly as your topiary is growing cover, you might not need to fill the structure. I've never seen one up close.

Cerberus German shepherds said...

I am inclined to agree with you...I haven't unbound the last of the jasmine...it should be fairly covered even now.